Sometimes siblings hurt us in childhood yet we were able to let that hurt go. But with some other brothers and sisters, that injury turns into a lesion that festers into midlife.
If you are a person whose sibling wound has turned into an “I Hate You” story, there are steps you can take that will allow you to bring that encapsulated wound to the surface of your mind and expose it to the here and now. Doing this will permit you to see the real problems in your sibling relationship. Understanding your sibling story will:
- Give you insight into harmful behavior a sibling committed long ago
- Allow you to avoid being vulnerable to that behavior in the present
- Help you protect yourself in future relationships with siblings
- Identify where you are stuck in your relationship with your sibling
- Move you towards forgiveness